Monday, December 22, 2008

Piles and Purls of Fun

As expected, we got lots more snow this past weekend. Also as expected, it drifted and piled up everywhere. Then our nice neighbor came by with his huge tractor and plowed out our driveway, leaving behind nice big snow piles perfect for climbing and sliding down. Kaylee had a blast.

The dogs seemed to enjoy it as well.

Peaches was king (or queen?) of the hill when all's said and done. Notice how short the birdhouse post looks? It's in the middle of a 3 foot snowdrift.


Snow piles may be fun to play on, but they're not exactly my idea of a good time. I'd rather be knitting in the nice warm house! We're hoping for better weather this week, hopefully tomorrow so Kaylee and I can get to town for our lunch/knitting/shopping/girl time plans. It will be so good to get out of the house and do something fun.

Speaking of knitting, I need more yarn! I'm almost finished with the class project, a booga bag. Here's mine, just 6 rounds, an I-cord, and felting away from completion. The lighting is pretty bad, but maybe you can make out the purple/teal blend stripes. I like it, anyway.

Hopefully it looks as good felted. Maybe I can use it to carry/store my future knitting projects. Some of those projects? Well, let's see. In no particular order, here's my project list for the winter.

1. A hat for Rich. He only has 1 warm hat.

2. A scarf for my baby sis, who we're going to see this weekend....think I can get it done by then?

3. Hat and matching mittens each for Kaylee and Miles.

4. Wool soaker (diaper cover) for Miles.

5. Matching hats for my other sister's new baby (expected in the next couple of weeks) and his 2 big brothers.

6. Scarf and hat for myself, to go with my wool winter coat.

7. "Longies" for Miles. These are wool pants that can be partially felted, lanolized, and used over cloth diapers as both pants and a waterproof cover. How cool is that? If I can make these, I can make anything.

It's very unlikely that I"ll actually get all of these things made, but luckily, most of them are small and won't take a ton of yarn. I'm hoping to purchase most of what I"ll need for everything tomorrow and then I'll have a good sized stash to work with the next time we're snowed in. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

mary said...

Hey Nikki,
Knit 1 purl 2 thats the way I use to do. Now I like the one hook.
WA WA WA Ididn't see my name on the list. Its okay to add it at the end. Grama in MO.

mary said...

Oh yes, Kaylee I see you. You are having so much fun I can tell.You are an outside girl. BURRRR, not this Grama. Love you & Miles sweettttt's. Daddy & Mommy to, even though my name wasn't on the list to do.

Jennifer said...

Wow, Nikki! My bag doesn't even look baggish yet! Can't wait to see it in person. :)

Lani said...

Luck. ;) Very nice. I'll add my name to the list behind Grandma Mary's. Hee.