Monday, December 15, 2008

When the Cold Winds Blow

Ok, I thought it was cold before, but yesterday and today have been OUTRAGEOUSLY cold. I mean cold enough to cause all sorts of problems. My outside thermometer reads -15 degrees right now.


The furnace has been running nonstop and cannot keep the house at a constant temperature above 69 degrees. The upstairs bathroom tub water supply is frozen up. Seriously. When I got up this morning, there was a layer of ice in the tub. The drain trap is frozen. There's snow INSIDE my basement windows.



Yes, our house is old. In spite of all our remodeling efforts, its not very well insulated. And we had 35 MPH winds yesterday with wind chills at -30 as well. But this is ridiculous. I had to take a hair dryer to the RO water supply line just to get water to make coffee this morning. Is it too late to move south for the winter?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ugh, I know! Every single window in our house has at least one inch of ice covering the bottom inside of the pane, and they're all so covered in condensation we can't even see out. If you guys find warm transportation southward let us know- we'll come along too! :D

Mulberry Mama said...

Hmmm, warm transportation south. Sounds good about now!

Lani said...

Yikes. Watch out for frozen pipes. That would be a bummer about now that you DON'T need.