Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Knittin' Days

My fall work is done. It's cold and there's snow on the ground. To quote the fictional Ma Graham from one of my favorite books, "Nice to have things all cleaned up fer the longs days an' nights ahead when a body can't be out much. Them's quiltin' an' knittin' days."

Quilting and knitting are two things that I'd like to learn, so this winter I'm determined to get started. With knitting, that is. Quilting may have to wait until next winter. A few weeks ago, when all my outside work was done and I was wondering how I was going to keep busy this winter, I looked into knitting classes in the area. I found beginning knitting for only $10, and I even found someone to go with me! The first of 3 sessions starts on Saturday.

I'm really looking forward to getting started. The evenings get a little long in the winter, as the kids go to bed early and Rich is always working, so I need something to keep my hands busy. Plus maybe I can make some cool stuff. We are supposed to make a bag at the class, for a first project. I'm hoping to learn how to make some things for the kids soon. Maybe something like this, for starters.

Hopefully once I get the hang of it, I will actually FINISH some pieces. I have 3 or 4 crochet projects sitting in my craft box, partly finished (or barely started, in some cases) from when I taught myself to crochet a few years ago. I was doing great with it until kids came along. Oh well, that's the breaks I guess. I'm hoping that with knitting I can create some things that are more useful, such as hats, mittens, scarves, sweaters, as opposed to little blankets or afghans. We'll see how this new venture goes... :-)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yay for "quiltin' and knittin'"!
Can't wait for our first class- see you on Saturday! :D

Lani said...

Sounds fun. How'd the class go today, girls? Knit me a hat while your at it. Did I mention I like orange? ;)