Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Crafty Creations

As promised, here's a (belated) update on my knitting and sewing projects.

-Miles' mittens knitted up quickly and easily, and he does keep them on better than his others. I made a string to connect them, which I made WAY too long....the mittens touch the ground on both sides when strung through his coat! But it works...no more lost mittens. They're so nice and soft and warm. I think I'll make some for me.


-Rich's hat is done too, but it turns out he didn't like the striped pattern I did on it. He thinks it looks too girly. Plus it's a bit too long, so it doesn't hug his head the way he thinks it should. The hat fits me though, so I guess I'll make yet ANOTHER one for him. Maybe the third time's a charm?


-The cloth baby wipes turned out great. It took a couple of tries to get the hang of keeping the terry and flannel even and rounding the corners when doing the zigzag, but I like the finished product. I made some with terry and flannel together and some with just 2 pieces of flannel. I sewed the layers together and then zigzagged the edges for a more flat, finished look. They work really well. The terry side is perfect for getting the "yuck" and the flannel for simple changes or finishing up. They're also perfect for washing dirty hands and faces!

So in the works now...
-I cast on for Miles longies yesterday. They're barely begun, so no pics yet. I'm knitting them on size 5 standard needles, which takes some getting used to since I"m used to knitting with larger needles or on circulars. We'll see how it goes. So far I've made enough mistakes to have to start over twice!
-Sis's scarf, still waiting for more yarn.
-On the sewing side, I've been working on my denim rag quilt sporadically, but nothing major to show for it yet. Mostly just cutting blocks when I have a spare moment.

And in the planning stages....
-Mittens for myself. I just knit a gauge swatch with my bulky yarn to decide on needle size, but I think the size 10 1/2 will work, so I"ll probably work on these some this week. I plan to make a matching hat as well at some point.
-Rich's hat, take 3. At least now I know what NOT to do with this.
-Kaylee's sweater, hat, and mittens. I have a great pattern, just need the yarn. This may have to wait a bit due to budgeting constraints.
-Miles soaker. I may do this along with the pants, but haven't started anything yet.

I love the weekly knitting sessions Jenni and I have been having. 2 whole hours of uninterrupted knitting and girl talk. Hopefully we can keep these going for a while!

2 comments:

Abnermil said...

Nikki darling, how do! I have a cloth diaper question, I think you posted about getting BumGenius diapers? I got some for a friend and was wanting to make sure I didn't need to get any additional inserts or anything? The baby is due early March.

Mulberry Mama said...

Hey! Looong time no talk! To answer your question, it depends on the type of diapers. Most pocket diapers do come with an insert, I think BumGenius do. And All-in-ones don't need one. If it's a fitted or contour diaper, you'll need a waterproof cover to go with it. Happy cloth diapering!