Sunday, January 4, 2009

On the Needles

A little knitting update tonight.

I finished the booga bag before I left for Missouri. It turned out pretty good, for a beginning project. I did make a mistake counting stitches on the bottom piece, so I ended up making it twice the size it was supposed to be. Since I didn't get back to the class and taught myself the rest, I had the bag almost finished before I found out it was wrong. Needless to say I didn't take it all out and start over. It just has a slightly puckered bottom. But it holds my knitting, so it works for me! It was done in 100% Galway wool on size 10 1/2 circular needles.


I started the scarf for my sister on the way down to see her, but I didn't get it nearly done before we left. Plus, I ran out of yarn. So I"m at a standstill on this until I can get back into the yarn store and pick up some more of that color. And no, it isn't really more narrow at the top, it's just that the circular needles holding it make it look that way. At least that's what I"m hoping! Isn't it a gorgeous yarn? It's a wool/microfiber blend: so soft! I'm using a size 7 circular needle, from my great-grandma's knitting basket! I love the way it's knitting up. I may have to get some for myself a scarf too!


Yesterday I cast on Rich's hat. It's going along pretty well. I"m not sure about the size, but hopefully it will come out alright. I'd say it's about half finished. The lighting doesn't do the colors justice at all: that brown looks much different in natural light. This is an 85/15 wool/mohair blend. It's the nicest yarn to work with, plus it's wonderfully soft and fuzzy. Should be warm and comfortable. It's on my 10 1/2 circular needles.


Today since I had a lot of time on my hands, I decided to practice small circular knitting with double pointed needles. So I started a little newborn hat for my new nephew (who has yet to make an appearance, despite our worry that he was trying to come early). It's taking some practice, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. This is a cotton super soft baby yarn that I had on hand from my attempts at crocheting a baby blanket several years ago. I'm using 2 strands, one white and one baby blue, with size 7 needles. So far I've only got the edge done. I'll probably finish this one tonight after the kids go to bed while I'm waiting for Rich to get home from work.


So that's the projects I'm working on now. Stay tuned..... :-)

2 comments:

Lani said...

You are ambitious, I tell you. The bag turned out great and it looks like the others are going to, too.

Mulberry Mama said...

Thanks. Since my sister hasn't had her baby yet, I'm back babysitting tomorrow, so I probably won't get as much done for a week or so now. But it's a great relaxing hobby for wintertime.