Friday, November 14, 2008

Dream Big

I've been wasting way more time that I should be lately looking at house plans online. No, we're not planning to build a house any time soon. However, SOMEDAY, we'd like to build our dream home, on an acreage, set down a long driveway off a paved road.

So, in the interests of someday, I've been looking at floor plans when I should be doing laundry or sleeping. After much thought, here's what I've decided.

I have some very definite ideas when it comes to the perfect house plan. First, and most important, it should all be on one floor. When my rheumatoid arthritis flares up, stairs are a big problem for me. Plus, we want something we can stay in until we're REALLY old and gray. So no stairs. Living area, bedrooms, laundry, etc all need to be on the main floor. This causes a bit of a problem cost wise, because you have to pay for all that foundation and all that roof.

Next, and nearly as important, is the kitchen. A large, open, well-planned kitchen is a must. I'm talking at least 12x12, or something similar. Even when it's just family around, everyone always ends up in the kitchen. I need room to cook, and can, and entertain. Lots of cupboards and counter space, double ovens, an island, and a peninsula with an eating bar are big pluses.

Finally, we need 4 bedrooms. We already have 1 boy and 1 girl, plus the master bedroom, and then we need a guest room. If we have more children, we'll need larger rooms for the kids, so the boys can share one and the girls another. With lots of closets for all those kids' stuff. That takes some space!

I absolutely love the farmhouse look, with the big wraparound porch. If at all possible, I want that type of plan. And an attached garage, preferably with a mudroom. We do want a basement, (I know, you need stairs for a basement, but I wouldn't have to go down there all the time) mostly for storage. A walk-out would be the best, but not totally necessary. A fireplace would be good. An office or study would be nice. But all those things are just extra perks, mostly.

So, based on all that, I found my dream home. The only thing missing is the study, but there is a sitting room off the master bedroom that could double as either a study, nursery, or craft room. The porch doesn't wrap around, but there is one on 2 sides. Yes, it's enormous. 3500 square feet, to be exact. But hey, why not dream big?
If the plan looks fuzzy, click on the image for a clearer view. And check out those walk-in closets! And the kitchen, and the pantry! I could go on and on. Here's the front view.



Now if we could ever afford to build it... sigh. Maybe someday.

5 comments:

Mary said...

I love it, but oh my the taxes.We see a lot of those homes in this area.But it never hurt to dream.Well maybe it does.

Jennifer said...

I like it Nikki! We have a lot of the same tastes. :)

Lani said...

And you know... I've heard that sometimes dreams do come true. It's fun to dream (I think.) whether they come true or not. Looks nice. And sounds perfect. Also. How did I not know you had rheumotid arthritis? I've heard it's quite painful. Sorry you have to deal with it. :(

Mulberry Mama said...

@lani - I've had RA for over 10 years, but it's been in remission a lot of that time. It went away completely during both pregnancies, flared when each baby was about 3 months old, and then back in remission again, mostly. The weather affects me a little. I first got it in college, but it was mostly during a summer so you probably weren't around to notice. I'm pretty used to it. I just load up on ibuprofen and sleep a lot when it flares, that usually helps!

Sarah said...

It's funny, for years I have been planning the home we would one day be able to build too. I get my drawing pencils out and graph paper and go to town figuring out the perfect floor plan, ironically enough you just gave me an easier approach, looking at house plans online. Geez, why didn't I think of that earlier?