Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Winter has Come

"Winter has come to our house," Kaylee stated this morning, staring out the window at the huge snowflakes falling on top of 1/4 inch of ice.

She then proceeded to beg and plead to go out, so as soon as it stopped snowing so hard I bundled her up and let her go. It started melting as soon as the snow stopped, making perfect snowman-making conditions. Kaylee spent the morning rolling snowballs and making snowmen. I had to bribe her with hot cocoa just to get her to come in for lunch!


I took Miles out for a little while too. The first thing he did was grab a mitten full of snow and taste it. I wish I could have captured the look of surprise on his face but I was a couple seconds too late.


We tried sledding, but the snow was very wet and it didn't work very well. They liked being pulled around by Mommy, but that got tiring very quickly!

Miles isn't crazy about mittens. He must feel like he can't do anything with them on, because he spends most of his time trying to take them off. After Kaylee's frostbitten fingers episode last winter, I'm almost ridiculously strict about keeping mittens on. Needless to say, Miles was back inside within 20 minutes. It didn't seem to bother him much. He got Mommy's mostly undivided attention while Kaylee played happily outside the window.

While Miles was napping I went back outside with Kaylee and we made a snow house. Not a fort, mind you. A house. Then she made very wet snow angels until she was soaked through her snow pants. Tonight we have an entryway full of wet winter clothes and one very tired, happy girl. Winter has come.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! Around here it is just raining and not freezing yet. I still have mixed feelings about this whole winter thing, but it looks like you had fun.

Lani said...

Oh my... winter HAS come to your house. Luckily we're still just getting rain.